Suggested Voluntary Best Practices:
Retailer Coupon Acceptance Policy
As a customer friendly retailer, we encourage the use of coupons by our guests in our retail stores, in
accordance with the following guidelines.
- All valid coupons should be presented to the cashier at the time of checkout.
- We accept only coupons that scan accurately at the register.
- We do not accept expired coupons.
- Coupons cannot be exchanged for cash or gift cards.
- We do not accept coupons for items not carried in our stores.
- The number of manufacturer coupons may not exceed the number of items in the transaction.
- The total value of the coupons may not exceed the value of the transaction.
- Use of 40 or more coupons per transaction, a transaction involving more than $100 in coupons, or
coupons totaling more than 20% of the gross sales price will require approval by a Manager.
- Any applicable sales tax must be paid by the consumer.
- We reserve the right to reject any coupon or to limit the number of coupons being used in a
FREE PRODUCT COUPONS
We check for the CIC Hologram when a free product coupon with no separate purchase requirements
is presented (i.e., Buy One, Get One Free coupons generally don’t feature the CIC Hologram).
We will accept a manufacturer coupon for an item that is on sale.
BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE COUPONS (BOGO)
- BOGO coupons cannot be “chained” (i.e., two BOGO coupons cannot be used to on two items to get
both for free). Unless stated otherwise on the coupon, the use of one BOGO coupon requires that two
of the valid items are presented at checkout; one item will be charged to the consumer and the second
item will be discounted by its full retail price.
- In a BOGO transaction, a second cents-off coupon cannot be counted towards the purchase price of
the first (buy one) product.
- We accept valid Internet/Print-at-Home coupons. Note: There are currently no valid Internet Print-at-
Home coupons that provide a 100% discount or free product.
- Internet Print-at-Home coupons feature unique serial numbers (often referred to as Pin Numbers)
printed on them and follow an industry-standard format. Coupons printed on home or office equipment
without these features will NOT be accepted.
- We do not accept Internet Print-at-Home coupons valued in excess of 75% of the sale price of the
- We will reject coupons if they appear to be copied, distorted, blurry, or altered.
- We monitor the CIC web site for announcements of new counterfeit coupons.
- We will work with law enforcement authorities to prosecute individuals using counterfeit coupons.
If a consumer returns a product purchased with a coupon, the value of the coupon will be retained by
store so the funds can be refunded to the manufacturer. The coupon will not be returned to the
consumer. The cash refund to the consumer will be the consumer’s out-of-pocket cost, taking the
coupon into account.